Computex Watch: Mobile Gadgets, Laptops and WiMAX
Many eyes are turning to Taipei for this week’s [Computex](http://www.computextaipei.com.tw/), the largest IT trade show in Asia that runs from June 2-6.
Every year, this is where new mobile technologies are unveiled, and this year I’m looking for the latest in laptops, netbooks, mobile Internet devices and WiMAX.
Here are a few Intel-related things I’ve seen blogged about prior to the show:
- New devices by [Viliv](http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2009/05/new-umpcs-and-netbook-coming-from-viliv.html)
- Metrological’s [Mediaconnect TV](http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/26/metrologicals-mediaconnect-tv-the-first-intel-ce-3100-retail-d/) — the digital entertainment set top box Intel CE 3100 processor inside
Intel news announcements, photos and videos from Computex will be added to the Intel [Pressroom](http://www.intel.com/pressroom/kits/events/computex2009) as the event unfolds.
Intel Executive VP [Sean Maloney](http://www.intel.com/pressroom/kits/bios/smaloney.htm) will keynote “Innovate for Growth” on June 2, and many other top execs will be on the scene meeting with device makers, analysts, media and mobile technology geeks attending the event.
I’ll be tuning into Computex stories by:
- [JKKMobile who is there all geared](http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2009/05/calm-before-storm-computex-starting.html) up with digital video camera, netbook and two MIDs. Here’s their visit to a computer store in Taipei where they found some [netbooks](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6GTOWTyR3E&feature=channel_page)
- [Steve "Chippy" Paine](http://www.twitter.com/chippy) from [UMPCPortal.com](http://www.umpcportal.com) and [MIDMoves.com](http://www.midmoves.com), and you can see the [gear he's bringing to Computex](http://www.midmoves.com/2009/05/computex-kit-list/), including a souped up nextbook and a few Intel Atom-powered MIDs (UMID and Viliv)
- [Intel Insider Frank Gruber](http://scoop.intel.com/frank-gruber.php) of [SomeWhatFrank.com](http://www.somewhatfrank.com) and on [Twitter](http://www.twitter.com/frankgruber).
My teammates based in Asia are sponsoring travel expenses for Steve and Frank. We are loaning them a few Intel Atom-powered Mobile Internet Devices to use at the event.
Here’s a TwitPic photo from Frank Gruber, showing the Viliv and BenQ MIDs he’s using at Computex.
We have invited them to the Intel keynote and a few gatherings to meet with Intel execs, employees and friends who are based in the Asia Pacific region.
I’m also watching for new developments and devices with WiMAX, from thin and light laptops to netbooks and mobile Internet devices.
Last month, I got to see mobile WiMAX broadband Internet service in action during a visit to Portland with some of the [Intel Insiders](http://scoop.intel.com/insiders). Here is a video I shot with [Clear](http://www.clear.com) who provides a good description of how WiMAX work.