What does this mean for you?? – Up to twice the HD media and 3-D Graphics performance, significant processor performance and you get stunning visuals experiences from mainstream gaming to HD video editing.
This Ivy Bridge processor isn’t just for gamers and media enthusiasts, it’s for everybody. In the coming months the 3rd Generation Intel Core processors will be available to power a new wave of systems ranging from Ultrabook™ devices, all-in-one (AIO) platforms, servers, intelligent systems in retail (aka digital signage), healthcare and other industries.
Speaking of healthcare, I got a huge kick the other day visiting the doctors office as all the staff had Intel based computer technology at their fingertips. It was cool to see them continuously enter in all my vitals and health statistics, not just for me but all the patients, every step of the way a computer was involved, and the high blood pressure machine was connected directly to the laptop. It is truly cool to see what amazing things people do with technology.
OK, back to 3rd Generation, I took an excerpt out of the press release that describes some of the ground breaking technology and what it means for you.
“Tick-Plus” – The Intel Advantage
The performance gains found in the new processors are due in part to the groundbreaking, three-dimensional structure of the new Intel transistors. Until today, computers, servers and other devices have used only two-dimensional planar transistors. Adding a third dimension to transistors allows Intel to increase transistor density and put more capabilities into every square millimeter of these new processors. Intel has once again re-invented the transistor and delivered an unprecedented combination of performance and energy efficiency, thus sustaining the pace of technology advancement and fueling Moore’s Law for years to come.
In a nutshell or transistor, we get better performance with our technology. This new processor packs a huge punch. From the great visual experience to performance with Intel Quick Sync Video 2.0 technology built into the new processors, people can also convert their videos up to two times faster than even last year’s processors. And up to 23 times faster than PC’s just three years old.
So the net/net – 2x better gaming and 2x better video transcoding with Intel HD Graphics and Intel QUick Sync Video respectively. Also, HD Graphics now supports hundreds of popular gaming titles and supports DirectX11 (for the geeky gamers).
Last but not least, the new products are on 22nm processor technology- meaning the stuff is getting wicked small, with amazing performance and battery life improvements.
Here are some fun facts about 22nm:
- More than 6 million 22nm tri-gate transistors could fit in the period at the end of this sentence.
- A 22nm tri-gate transistor’s gates that are so small, you could fit more than 4000 of them across the width of a human hair.
- If a typical house shrunk as transistors have, you would not be able to see a house without a microscope. To see a 22nm with the naked eye, you would have to enlarge a chip to be larger than a house.
- Compared to Intel’s first microprocessor, the 4004, introduced in 1971, a 22nm CPU runs over 4000 times as fast and each transistor uses about 5000 times less energy. The price per transistor has dropped by a factor of about 50,000.
- A 22nm transistor can switch on and off well over 100 billion times in one second. It would take you around 2000 years to flick a light switch on and off that many times.
Please check out this cool 3rd Gen video and let us know how excited you are about Hard Core, Quad Core.
“The Only Thing More Amazing Than Our Technology is What You’ll do With It”