Google TV? Smart TV? Internet TV? (Spoiler Alert!)
Google TV is smart TV. Smart TV has Intel Inside.
There’s a lot of confusion out there. Smart TV is a new digital home category that you’ll soon see at your local Best Buy or consumer electronics store from manufacturers like Sony or Logitech. Google TV is much of the interface. Smart TV is the platform.
All powered by Intel Atom.
Dear TV, you’ve come a long way since Flash-matic Tuning. Smart TV is combined TV, Internet, social web and personal content like videos, pictures, music, etc…
Now this is where I get excited… Some if this we’re still working on in the Labs and some will be out w/ the first products this Fall. But here’s some of the vision of your ‘Screen Future”.
Imagine the possibilities:
- Interaction – Think: voice, gesture, touch.
- TV Apps – Think: Facebook, gaming, news, iMDB, VOD, or simply the next BIG thing
Social TV – Think: watching a game; video call with friends; fantasy stats for each person. More? Now tie in auto-generated video highlights for your teams/players. (This one isn’t a reality yet, but the guys in the lab love to talk about it).
- Voice Search across broadcast, broadband, cable, DVR, personal content.
- Visual, multi-video previews of ‘What’s On’ (broadcast, cable channels and online video (YouTube, Hulu)
- Gaming – no gaming console? No problem.
- Intel Wireless Display (WiDi) – wirelessly share laptop to your smart HDTV. Or your music collection, or your pictures, videos of the kids…
Here’s a smart TV (Google TV) demo from the Intel Developer Forum, featuring LeVar Burton (Star Trek’s Geordi La Forge! – OMG)
Is that Ian Thomas behind him?