In my last post, I showed you How to Install Linux Ubuntu on an UltrabookTM. In this post, I will explain several useful applications you can use in Ubuntu.
Go to “Applications” and choose the following:
1) Banshee Media Player — It can be used to play video, audio etc
2) Evolution Mail and Calendar – use this application to send and receive email, set up appointments and calendar prompts, as well as contact information management, etc.
Previously I had some opportunities to contribute my technical effort on Linux open source applications – Evolution. Personally I’d like to introduce the URL – http://cia.vc/stats/author/hao.h.li. It records some of my contributions to Linux Evolution upstream. When I try the Evolution in Ubuntu, I am very proud of it. -:)
3) Mahjong — Originally Mahjong was just a popular game in China, but now it seems like it is popular in the world. In Ubuntu, it has this game in English and many other languages.
4) Firefox – I browse below URL and find something interesting.
“about:mozilla” – Look, it shows some funny content.
“about:robots” – It shows the message from robots to humans -:)
5) Terminal – with Terminal, I can run many Linux commands here.
Xeyes – The lovely eyes will follow my mouse point.
apt-get moo – It draws a bull with moo -:)
I am very happy to see the Asus UX31 Ultrabook can be used to play so many useful and interesting applications in Ubuntu Linux operating system.
At the user experience level, I can do almost all the things I want to do in Linux on Ultrabook. And the features are easy to use because the experience is very much like applications in Windows.
Once I have installed Linux to the hard disk, I can have many fun experiences by installing many more free applications from Ubuntu Repo.